The Foundation of Peacemaking
“Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.”
Individuals involved in conflict need the gospel. Believers need to be reminded of the gospel as a rich encouragement in their ongoing struggle with sin. Unbelievers need to hear the gospel as an invitation to faith.
We need to:
- Know the Gospel.
- Creation – God created humans in His own image and for His glory, He gave them dominion over the earth and He commanded them to obey His instructions.
- The Fall – Humans did what was forbidden and lost their unspoiled relationship with God and became sinners punishable by death and eternal separation from God.
- Redemption – Out of God’s great love he sent His sinless Son, Jesus Christ, to die on a cross as the payment for our sins. Through Jesus’s life, death on a cross and resurrection those who believe in Him will take on the righteousness of Christ as Christ takes on their sin and punishment. By faith in Christ people receive the gift of eternal life.
- Restoration – Christ is coming again and will restore all of creation. Every person saved by faith will live with Christ forever.
- Each person must personally receive the grace of God by believing in the work of Christ on the cross.
- Live in the Gospel.
- God loves me (1 John 3:1) “See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.”
- God accepts me just as I am (Romans 15:7)“Therefore, accept one another, just as Christ also accepted us to the glory of God.”
- God is working in me to transform me increasingly into the likeness of Christ (2 Corinthians 3:18), “But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.” not to make me acceptable to Him (because I already am accepted), but for His glory.
- Evidence of “living in the light” is a willingness to be open and honest about my sin (1 John 1:5-8) “This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.”
- Live out the Gospel.
- Know the truth of God’s love, acceptance and ongoing presence in your life.
- Respond in dependence on God.
- Give gratitude for God’s grace.
- Joyfully be obedient to His commands.
John 14:1 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in Me.”
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
John 14:15 “If you love Me, you will obey what I command.”